How to Start a Divorce Application in Ontario

Divorce Act is Federal legislation, but the provinces of Ontario has set up the processes for filing for a divorce in Ontario. If you are registering for a Simple or Joint Divorce, then you would need to submit form 8A before the Superior Court of Justice of your local municipality. Once you have filed the Form 8A, you would need to serve the גירושיןApplication, (if it is a simple Divorce ) on the Respondent. If it is Joint Divorce, then you do not need to serve the Divorce Application on the Respondent. After filing for Divorce you would need to wait for a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks to obtain a clearance certificate from Central Divorce Registry (CDR) Ottawa, the Divorce process can be complicated therefore it is always best to retain a to help you navigate the process. The Divorce Application Court fees are $447 to be made payable in the name of Minister of Finance. It can be paid by way of certified cheque or by Credit Card.

It is always recommended to get legal advice from an experienced Divorce Lawyer Toronto before you apply. A Divorce lawyer can inform you about your rights and responsibilities as well as explain how the law applies to your situation. Divorce Lawyer would also explain what other documents you may need to file in court. It is recommended if you and your spouse can agree on major issues such as Child Custody, Access & Visits, Child Support, Spousal Support and Division of Property before you apply for a גירושיןin Ontario. If you cannot agree, then you can ask the court to decide on your behalf. In such a situation you would need to file a form 8 for Divorce with other relief. If parties are at dispute then the divorce process takes longer to complete. It will also be more expensive as well as stressful for you and your family if the court intervenes and has to make these decisions for you.

Exception to Residency Requirements for Divorce Application in Ontario.

As a rule of thumb, only a person who is a resident of Canada for a minimum of one year can apply for Divorce in Canada. Therefore If both parties do not live in Canada, then neither can get a divorce under Canada's גירושין Laws.

On the other hand, you can end your marriage under the Civil Marriage Act if you meet BOTH of the following requirements:

• You were married in Canada; and

• You are unable to terminate your marriage in the country you currently live because that country does not recognize Canadian marriage.

A process under Civil Marriages Act merely ends the marriage it does not resolve other issues such as child custody, child support, spousal support and Division of Property. Therefore it is always a good idea to get a Divorce Lawyer Toronto Free Consultation to help you understand with the Divorce process in Ontario.


Views: 2

Reply to This


Welcome to the PERSONAL GROWTH SYSTEMS Information network.

Here you will be able to keep up with the latest concepts in unlocking human potential,

Philosophical, and cultural discussions are also welcome.

Please try to keep this a positive forum that focuses on solutions and positive action  No spam please.

If you have any questions, comments or discussions, please post them.

The best place to find me is on facebook or twitter if I'm not here.

Feel free to comment and make friends within the community.

You may envite as many people as you want to join our network. Have fun!


This page is best viewed in safari or firefox.

(add your location to the map)



Who We Are

Personal Growth Systems is a free information forum that focuses specifically on self improvement in every form.

The tools available on this site will allow members to coach and support each other in virtually any aspect of self improvement.

Please use the blog and forum pages to start a discussion so you can get started.

Get a Coach

Hiring a coach or trainer is a great way to take your self improvement goals to the next level.

© 2019   Created by David W. Rhay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Tweet Tweets by @rhaydavid